Wednesday, February 20, 2013

[Advice] What are the 3 Must Use Marketing Channels for the New Economy?

Hey guys, just posted this on a forum thread over at GKIC

Matt wrote:

"I'm listening to CD 2 of Dan's MM system, and while I have a great amount of appreciation for what Dan teaches, I can tell that the CD is a little dated (and correct me if I am wrong) but in it Dan shares that the only 3 marketing channels that a small business needs to use are:

 

1. Yellow Pages - Lets face it, the yellow pages are dead. (again correct me if I'm wrong) but their stock is trading at .17 and no one uses it anymore. I don't even know where mine is.

2. Direct Mail - While I haven't had the chance to implement a direct mail campaign yet I do believe that it can still work, with the right message and delivery.

3. Val Pak Coupon - Again with the start up of websites like Groupon and Living Social (which I don't believe are going to be around for very long but again I could be wrong but I say this as it doesn't make financial sense for a business owner to use this and lose so much money) but I don't really think ValPak Coupon books work anymore given the age of smart phones and daily deal websites.

That being said, I'm curious to know of what other channels would be recommended?

Share your thoughts?"

Hey Matt, I think that really depends on the industry. I know businesses thriving on all 3 right now. Yes, even the Yellow Pages. There is still enough of the market using it in some industries.

I have a client that is killing it right now with SEO, PPC and Google + Local. No other advertising right now but those and he can barely handle the work.

Personally, to be safe I would say a solid web presence (this includes a good website with proper marketing practices in place, seo, ppc in some industries, etc.). Direct mail and maybe some targeted print ads.

But all of this depends on the industry and your market.

I have clients doing very well on Groupon but I would never recommend it to others. It depends on the business. Service businesses do well with Groupon because there generally aren't hard costs with each sale.

So each business is really different these days. In reality almost all will work when done properly. It's a matter of what you can do now with your industry and market.

Hope that helps,

- JR

JRGriggs.com || RedWallMarketing.com

No comments: