Hey guys, just answered a question over on Quora
This question was asked:
“I’m currently in college and every time we create a group for a subject, I notice that no one take responsibility for their own actions, so I end up telling everyone what they have to do. This makes them usually mad at me, because I gave them orders and I’m not their boss (if I didn’t, we would never get anything done!). But, when something goes wrong, they all think it is my responsibility, although I’m not their boss.
I get the “I don’t know what I have to do” response two times a day!, and I receive the same information from teachers as they do.
And it gets worse. I make a lot of bad decisions, because I can’t manage everyone’s time; I’m not supposed to do that!
And, I’ve said this to them thousands of times, and they say they get it, but they still don’t know what to do.
I’ve always thought myself as a natural leader, but should I also assume most of the people are not even close to be proactive? How can I deal with these issues?”
Casey had a great answer, so I can only follow with this:
Think less about giving them orders and more about leading them. Think in team perspective. A quarterback is not the boss on the team, but he has to lead. His job is to help everyone be the best at what they do. But he is on their side. Doesn’t mean everyone will like you, but respect is more important.
Hope that helps,
JR
JRGriggs.com || RedWallMarketing.com
No comments:
Post a Comment