Hey guys, just answered a question over on Quora
This question was asked:
"I am 16 years old. I have $1000 to work with. I have the best credentials a 16 year old could have, with a 4.25 GPA, and being an Eagle Scout, and have learned to speak proficiently in Spanish. I have earned my money up to this point with yard work ( a mix of skilled and unskilled labor). Some potential ideas I've had:
Vending machines/gumball machines.
Lawn care service (Hiring other teenagers to do yard work, and make a small profit off setting up the arrangement)
I live in the suburbs about 45 minutes from Atlanta, to somewhat gauge the population of potential clients.
I would like something that would be more of a constant, rather than occasional customers or chance. Potentially selling a good or a service to a company?
( =guaranteed business)
Any help would be appreciated."
This question was asked:
"I am 16 years old. I have $1000 to work with. I have the best credentials a 16 year old could have, with a 4.25 GPA, and being an Eagle Scout, and have learned to speak proficiently in Spanish. I have earned my money up to this point with yard work ( a mix of skilled and unskilled labor). Some potential ideas I've had:
Vending machines/gumball machines.
Lawn care service (Hiring other teenagers to do yard work, and make a small profit off setting up the arrangement)
I live in the suburbs about 45 minutes from Atlanta, to somewhat gauge the population of potential clients.
I would like something that would be more of a constant, rather than occasional customers or chance. Potentially selling a good or a service to a company?
( =guaranteed business)
Any help would be appreciated."
I think you may be looking at this the wrong way and it is downfall for many people looking to start a business. Don't start a business just because it seems like a good idea and you have seen others succeed.
Take a look around and find a need. Find something that people need and would pay money for. That is how you start a business. Unless there is a need and a big market for that need, you will not get very far.
You should also focus on being unique, don't just copy what someone else is doing. Start something different. It doesn't mean that you can't start something that already exists. There were already search engines when Google was started. They just built something better.
Don't be like all the person who starts a coffee shop that is not much different than every other coffee shop in the area. I doubt there is a need for more coffee shops and different colored walls does not count as being unique.
Stay away from gimmicks and get rich quick stuff. Theres's a lot of crap out there!
Hope that helps,
- JR
Take a look around and find a need. Find something that people need and would pay money for. That is how you start a business. Unless there is a need and a big market for that need, you will not get very far.
You should also focus on being unique, don't just copy what someone else is doing. Start something different. It doesn't mean that you can't start something that already exists. There were already search engines when Google was started. They just built something better.
Don't be like all the person who starts a coffee shop that is not much different than every other coffee shop in the area. I doubt there is a need for more coffee shops and different colored walls does not count as being unique.
Stay away from gimmicks and get rich quick stuff. Theres's a lot of crap out there!
Hope that helps,
- JR
No comments:
Post a Comment